Tuesday, February 2, 2010

City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments Series #1) by Cassandra Clare


City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments Series #1) by Cassandra Clare Publication Date: March 27, 2007
Versions: hardcover, paperback, kindle, audio

Summary (from barnesandnoble.com):
Their hidden world is about to be revealed....


When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder — much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Clary knows she should call the police, but it's hard to explain a murder when the body disappears into thin air and the murderers are invisible to everyone but Clary.

Equally startled by her ability to see them, the murderers explain themselves as Shadowhunters: a secret tribe of warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. Within twenty-four hours, Clary's mother disappears and Clary herself is almost killed by a grotesque demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know....

I tried reading this book about a year ago. I loved the beginning and it was overall really interesting and a different plot that I've been reading. And then I started getting to the middle, and I couldn't help skimming tons and tons of pages. I mean ten or so at one time, which is a lot. It got too dry for me.

And then I went to Borders and was searching for books to buy (this was about a month after I put down the book unfinished) and I don't know what drove me, but I bought the second one in the series, even though I didn't finish the first one! Could I have been any more stupid? NO!

So now it's been sitting in my bookcase for eight or so months, untouched and unread. And then about a week ago I was thinking about the book. I needed to get my money's worth on it. So i decided to pick up the first one again. And very slowly I've been making my way through it.

At times the writing was dry and the characters are very unlikable. Especially Simon. He is so obnoxious, I roll my eyes every time I think about him or even read about him. At times I wish Jace would have just killed him off. Ugh.

Will I reread it?
Well...I pretty much already did. And maybe in the far future I may crave this book and I'll know where to find it.

I guess I said a few unpossitive comments in the paragraphs above, but I have to make this clear. It wasn't a bad book. It wasn't my favorite book, but it wasn't my least either-it hits right about in the middle. And I'm sure people have seperate opinions on the matter.

2 comments:

Athira said...

Haha! You're review gave me quite a chuckle! I had some trouble reading this as well. The writing was drab and there wasn't any character development, and don't even get me started about the relationship thingy! LOL!

Nice honest review!

Blueicegal ♥ said...

What really? LMFAO most people would say the exact opposite and find Simon lovable and Jace obnoxious. TEAM JACE just to put that out there hehehe. Simon is okay I like my bad boys though :P