Friday, February 26, 2010

Sloppy Firsts (#1 in the Jessica Darling series) by Megan McCafferty

Sloppy Firsts (book #1 in the Jessica Darling series) by Megan McCafferty
Publication Date: August 28, 2001
Versions: paperback, kindle

Summary (from barnesandnoble.com):
“My parents suck ass. Banning me from the phone and restricting my computer privileges are the most tyrannical parental gestures I can think of. Don’t they realize that Hope’s the only one who keeps me sane? . . . I don’t see how things could get any worse.


Okay...what a lame summary. You dissapointed me barnesandnoble.com (probably for the first time). This summary doesn't even give a hint into what this book is really about. Yes, Jessica Darling's (I know, what a great name) best friend, Hope, moves away and she's stuck around her "so called friends" that she doesn't like. Her dad keeps pushing her to keep running while secretly she wants to quit. And then there's Marcus Flutie--the school bad boy and dreg nicnamed krispy creme for always being at a crisp for doing drugs and having "done" two dozen girls. She starts having phone conversations with him and he messes with her mind. Jessica is Marcus's first friend that he hasn't slept with. But he knows her better than anyone else, including her "so called friends".

This book is so funny, Jessica does the dumbest things that make you laugh while you're reading it. Megan McCafferty's voice comes through strong in this book from her vocabulary and all the 80's type words she throws into it like: bubblegum bimbo.

Will I reread it?
Yes, I adore this series. Yes, it is indeed a series so you don't have to stop at this book.

I would probably recommend this to a more older teenage audience because of the language and some of the scenes are pretty graphic. I overall really enjoyed this book and thought of it as a perfect start to a wonderful and unique series.

10 comments:

Jess F. said...

I loved that series!! I wish it didn't have to end! =0)

Morgan said...

Jess-I know!!!

Anonymous said...

Yes, the description is lame. I'm glad the book is so much more. I look forward to reading it.

Book Sp(l)ot said...

I keep meaning to read this book (and serie) but never do.....I really, really should sometime!

The Library Lurker said...

This is one of my favorite series ever. They're just great! Love the review!

Darlyn said...

you make this one sounds really great!

Corrine said...

This one sounds like it'd be a nice tongue in cheek read! I hadn't heard of it before you reviewed it, so yay, another book added to the tbr list. :)

Morgan said...

This is a really good series that you guys should defiantly read.

Corrine- tounge in cheek? Lol, I've never heard of that before. And I'm so glad you added this to your tbr list!

Sara said...

Great review! People keep saying that this series is awesome, so I might have to try it sometime!

Unknown said...

air max, burberry, oakley sunglasses, nike free, nike air max, louboutin outlet, louboutin shoes, louis vuitton, cheap oakley sunglasses, sac longchamp, uggs on sale, replica watches, christian louboutin outlet, nike roshe run, ray ban sunglasses, louboutin pas cher, michael kors, nike air max, longchamp outlet, ugg boots, tiffany jewelry, kate spade outlet, nike free, air jordan pas cher, prada outlet, gucci outlet, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton, tiffany and co, ralph lauren pas cher, nike outlet, longchamp pas cher, prada handbags, longchamp, jordan shoes, replica watches, louis vuitton outlet, chanel handbags, louis vuitton outlet, ray ban sunglasses, tory burch outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, louboutin, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses, polo ralph lauren outlet, ugg boots, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet