Friday, July 23, 2010

Grace by Elizabeth Scott

Grace by Elizabeth Scott (ARC)
Publication Date: September 16, 2010
Versions: hardcover
Received from: Star Book Tours

Summary (from goodreads):
Grace was raised to be an Angel, a herald of death by suicide bomb. But she refuses to die for the cause, and now Grace is on the run, daring to dream of freedom. In search of a border she may never reach, she travels among malevolent soldiers on a decrepit train crawling through the desert. Accompanied by the mysterious Kerr, Grace struggles to be invisible, but the fear of discover looms large as she recalls the history and events that delivered her uncertain fate. 


Told in spare, powerful prose, this tale of dystopian near future will haunt readers long after they've reached the final page.

When the summary says it will haunt readers, it truly does. I don't know if I overall liked it, loved it, hated it or if it was just an ok book to me. I have no idea, but I keep thinking about this book ever since I've read it (which must be a good sign). Grace is an angel in a world where Kerr runs pretty much everything. And Angel's are suicide bombers. They have been trying to teach Kerr that he can't control everything and everyone, so when it is Grace's turn to die-she just can't. She doesn't want to die. So she gets shipped on a train for her own safety with the one and only Kerr. Only, maybe Kerr isn't who everyone thinks he is.

Half the time I was wondering what was actually going on in the different scenes, and the other half I was wondering what was going to happen. This is a very powerful book that left me with tears near the ending. It switched from past to present quite a few times, which can be a little confusing. But Elizabeth Scott doesn't disappoint.

Will I reread it?
Probably not. I am so used to reading love stories from Elizabeth Scott, so this one took me by surprise. But it was a good surprise and I recommend this book to any Elizabeth fan.

5 comments:

Liz said...

I just got this book (because I was right behind you on the tour) and read it. I agree with you that it got confusing at times!

Erika said...

this one sounds interesting- definitely not your typical elizabeth scott book. i can't wait to read it!

Tammy (The Book Fairy's Haven) said...

Haven't read any of Elizabeth Scott yet, but this one certainly sounds like an interesting book. Will be on the look out for this in the shops, that's for sure!

Lale said...

I'm really looking forward to this- I'm interested to see how she deals with the touchy subject. Thanks for the review!

Sara said...

Sounds very different from Elizabeth Scott's other books! I'm a fan of hers, so I might give this one a try!